Your guide to understanding Electric Vehicle (EV) frequently asked questions
How do I arrange for a chargepoint to be installed?
You will need to contact a supplier who has been approved by OLEV. Browse product from Rolec, Rexel’s manufacturering partner – by visiting their brand pages. Your charging requirements will depend on the vehicle you wish to charge and the location of the chargepoint installation at your property.
Do I have to pay upfront and claim it back?
The authorised chargepoint supplier will claim the 75% or £900 on your behalf. Many authorised suppliers will therefore expect you or an agreed third party to pay 25% of the total cost. Rolec offer additional funding to cover the 25% difference. Contact us for more information.
Do I have to have a plug-in vehicle?
Yes. You will need to own, lease or be nominated as the primary user of an eligible electric vehicle.
Is there a limit on the number of chargepoints I can claim for?
Yes. The Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme grant is limited to one installation at a domestic residence per eligible vehicle.
I am VAT registered. Can I put it through my company’s accounts?
No. The grant is for private individuals only and who will not reclaim the VAT back through HMRC. The grant covers 75% of the total cost including VAT, up to £9000.
Who is eligible to claim this grant?
Eligibility is as follows:
- Individuals who have taken ownership of a new eligible electric vehicle on or after 1 July 2014 as long as they have not claimed against the previous chargepoint schemes.
- Individuals who purchase a second-hand electric vehicle on or after 1 July 2014 are entitled to claim the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme Grant as long as they have not claimed against previous domestic chargepoint schemes.
- Individuals who are assigned a company car for at least six months on or after 1 July 2014.
- Individuals who lease an eligible vehicle for at least six months on or after 1 July 2014.
- Individuals who are named by their employer as the primary user of an eligible electric vehicle for at least six months on or after 1 July 2014. If the named individual changes within six months, a second grant cannot be claimed.
- Individuals who can prove that they have ordered an eligible electric vehicle and the vehicle will be received on or after 1 July 2014.